hierarchy in language tags

Jon Hanna jon at spin.ie
Wed Feb 12 11:32:07 CET 2003

IIRC this was stated when I suggested changing the en-scouse registration to
en-GB-scouse.
Michael Everson:
"I don't know if this kind of hierarchical thing is really what
language tagging is for."

Martin Duerst:
"The hierarchy of language tags is a feature that can be used,
not a feature that must be used."

I seem to remember a similar point being made in another thread, but I may
be pretty much hallucinating that one.