RFC3066 bis: use of ISO 639-1

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Dec 9 08:28:01 CET 2003

Harald Tveit Alvestrand scripsit:

> >That's a good idea, and would render it even more stable in the face of
> >'potential' mistakes by the other organization. The question is when we
> >should do the same for the country codes, for which there is not even a
> >publicly available list.
>
> what?????
>
> The ISO 3166 list of country codes has been publicly available for MANY
> years.

Mark is talking about the 3-letter ISO 3166 codes, which are indeed not
available at the official MA site.  But the 3-digit codes, which come from
UNSD, are available from both agencies and are change-controlled by UNSD,
which has a history of stability and no axes to grind.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
[R]eversing the apostolic precept to be all things to all men, I usually [before