What a Locale is.... (Re: [Fwd]: Response to Mark's message])

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Tue Apr 15 11:31:24 CEST 2003

Jon was arguing that script should not be part of RFC 3066. (It already is,
in yi-latn, BTW).

The point that my reply was making is that the only real technical rationale
for having two language code standards (639 and 3066) are that for the
first, written form is not material, while for the second it is material.
RFC 3066 already allows fine distinctions in orthography, such as "theatre"
vs "theater", or German orthographic conventions. The RFC is deployed in a
wide variety of contexts, such as in HTML and XML, where it is absurd to
think that users would care about such fine distinctions as "theatre" vs
"theater", but then not care which script the language was expressed in.

Thus my message was an example: in English, but a mixture of scripts (of
course, I didn't do the transliteration by hand, I cheated with
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr/ -- and it is only a
transliteration, not a transcription).

Mark
________
mark.davis at jtcsv.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799