Azeri [Re: LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM]

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Apr 15 11:25:26 CEST 2003

Peter_Constable at sil.org scripsit:

> I'm concerned about ambiguity, not vagueness. I agree that vagueness is
> something we allow for. But, suppose at some point in time "Azerbaijani"
> becomes an official language of more than one state, but that there are
> differences in these two states (dialectal, or perhaps one uses Latin and
> the other Cyrillic or Arabic). Or, suppose that official use in a given
> state changes suddenly, e.g. a wholesale abandonment of Latin for
> Armenian. In such situations, "official current use" would become
> ambiguous -- it would mean *different* things according to different
> contexts.

Oh, I see.  You mean if "current" is late-bound, so that its denotation depends
on what is current at the time of use, rather than now.  Yes, I agree that
that is bad, of course.

--
Do what you will,                       John Cowan
   this Life's a Fiction                jcowan at reutershealth.com
And is made up of                       http://www.reutershealth.com
   Contradiction.  --William Blake      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan