LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at sharif.edu
Sat Apr 12 02:58:22 CEST 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, John Cowan wrote:

> claims that the use of az-latn in Iran is not unknown, and

It is not unknown, yes. The neighboring country writes it. To many, that's
the main Azeri, since it's the official language of the country.

> in fact that most Azeri-speaking Iranians understand it.

If they can read English or any other Latin alphabet, yes, they can.
Modern Azerbaijani is very phonetic. I (who don't know Azeri) can read it
aloud to an Iranian Azeri speaker who can't read or write, and he will
understand it.

roozbeh