[Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

Martin Duerst duerst at w3.org
Thu Apr 10 15:04:35 CEST 2003

At 13:54 03/04/09 -0700, Addison Phillips [wM] wrote:
>Martin wrote:

> >The only reasonable solution
> > I see for this one is:
> > 1) Define some format for describing the various conventions.
>
>Like RDF?

I was more thinking about something like LDML
(http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/locale_data_markup.ht
ml).

Of course, an RDF-based format might also do the job.

> > 2) Reference that format by an URI.
>
>You mean an IRI, right? ;-)

Of course :-).

> > >When inferring these preferences from
> > >RFC3066bis, you should xxxxxx.....
> > >//------
> >
> > I think it doesn't work for RFC 3066bis to give such instructions.
>
>I think that xxxxx would not give instructions on what to map TO, but rather
>how to map FROM 3066bis. That is, how to group items in the more complex
>hierarchy of scripts and whatnot when interpreting; how to deal with
>deprecated values (no-nyn -> nn); how to deal with i- and x- values; etc.

Can you give some actual examples of what might go into these instructions?
For dealing with i-, the only thing I can imagine is: go look at the
registration, and map it to something similar in your platform if you
have something similar, otherwise don't map it. But that seems obvious
to me anyway.

Regards,    Martin.