Why not? [Re: [Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Thu Apr 10 13:24:11 CEST 2003

Jon Hanna wrote on 04/10/2003 10:24:50 AM:

> > But why not? Surely it is useful to make such distinctions sometimes,
> > especially the example given of Ipal.
>
> The possibility of a need for such fine-grained identifiers for scripts
> would further complicate the language codes above the complication of
> dealing with scripts at all.
>
> Another justification for my view that we should deal with the two
> separately?

I don't see how this justifies your view. The complication in the system of
tagging provided by RFC3066(bis) is reasonable since it can be backed by an
ontological model that approximates reality closely enough to be very
practical and also not to lead to any serious problems.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485