Why not? [Re: [Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

John Clews Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 14:19:26 CEST 2003

In message <p05200a06babb085bdda3@[195.218.107.154]> Michael Everson writes:
> At 07:23 -0400 2003-04-10, John Cowan wrote:
> >Michael Everson scripsit:
> >
> >>  IPA is a special use of Latin, but it's still Latin.
> >
> >Perhaps what is needed is a notion of "script subsets", which would
> >include Hans, Hant, and Ipal.  In this way we could clearly discriminate
> >between, say, English in ordinary orthography (en) and in IPA transcription
> >(en-ipal).
>
> But why?

But why not? Surely it is useful to make such distinctions sometimes,
especially the example given of Ipal.

Some users would want materials that were

        en YES, -Ipal NO

especially if they wanted to exclude linguistic studies in a
particular domain.

Other users might want to separate out, and to concentrate on, texts
which were

        en NO,  -Ipal YES

particularly if they were doing a study of phonetic usage, or even of
application of IPA.

Otherwise, if we don't need such distinctions, why do we need
ISO 15924 (Codes for representation of names of scripts) at all?

Again, not a rhetorical question: I'd be interested to hear of any
good reasons why we don't need such distinctions.

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),
Email:  Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Web:    http://www.keytempo.com

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes