Script codes in RFC 3066

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Wed Apr 9 12:10:14 CEST 2003

Jeremy Carroll wrote on 04/09/2003 06:57:32 AM:

> i.e. 3 letter codes looks pretty tight to me for your objective.
> however, allowing numbers in positions 2 and 3 doubles the space.

An excellent suggestion, should we someday run out (though I don't expect
it to ever happen).

> Also there may be codes nobody wants to use

There are certainly a number, both to avoid strings that may be culturally
offensive, but also because ISO 639 has set aside some for private use.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485