Updated! LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM : es-americas

Tex Texin tex@i18nguy.com
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 01:20:18 -0400

Peter,

I think there is value in such a tag, not as a language tag, but as an
indication of the intended market(s) or class of users.
These are two very different things.
It is correct to disapprove of es-americas, as there is no such
language, and no guidelines for spell or grammar checkers or other
language-specific processors, as to what is correct or incorrect should
such a LANGUAGE be identified.

Picking one country to represent all does not reflect the trend in the
localization industry. The trend is to choose terms that are acceptable
in the majority if not all markets. Using one language for all is a
solution, but an improved solution can be had by making some additional
careful choices (or by avoiding certain terms which self-identify their
origin). This can make the product look local to all the markets, and
not so obviously a product from a particular market.

Having a nomenclature for such an artificial language used for a target
market makes sense but shouldn't be confused with nomenclature for
natural languages. (There is also a need for tools such as spell,
grammar checkers for these artificial languages.)

Nomenclature for locales, which is what is being sought, should be
derived from another source, so we are not forced to pollute language
labels with arbitrary marketing-derived tags.

Just my 2 cents.
tex