LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Sean M. Burke sburke@cpan.org
Thu, 16 May 2002 13:38:58 -0600

At 13:55 2002-05-15 -0700, Youngmin Radochonski wrote:
> > >English name of language   : Latin American Spanish
> > I'm merely curious -- what circumstances lead you to want a language tag
> > for this?
>For translation, we need to identify a generic, regional version of Spanish.
>This identity mainly concerns terminology, but can also affect syntax.

The reason I ask, is that I'm concerned that "Latin American Spanish" is no
more of a natural class than "English as spoken outside of Canada".
Why not just call it "es", and then if you're aware of Spain-specific
things, put those in an "es-es" localization?

>If we choose one country to represent the whole region, e.g. Argentina or
>Mexico, the translator may decide to use country-specific terminology and
>colloquialisms, assuming that the content is specific only to that one country.

Hm, that assumes that people know when they're using country-specific
terminology.  In my experience, translators only rarely know this.  But
yes, you're right to try!

--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/