Correction! LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM : es-america

John Cowan jcowan@reutershealth.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 15:05:46 -0400 (EDT)

Sean M. Burke scripsit (on the ietf-languages list):

> I think this is practically begging to be misinterpreted as "Spanish as=20
> spoken in America (i.e., the United States)".  I'd prefer "es-americas".

But the word "America" in Spanish refers to the whole ball of wax from
Ellesmere Island to Tierra del Fuego.  The U.S. has a different name
altogether.

> Do we still interpret "ASCII" to mean US-ASCII?  If so:
>     "espanol de America Latina"
> otherwise:
>     "espa=F1ol de Am=E9rica Latina"

The former, for:

There's no ASCII but US-ASCII (the only ASCII I know);
Everything about it is U.S.-based; everything about it's 7-bit.
You do that X3.4 wheeler-dealing, when you are feeling retro-fit.

There's no ASCII but US-ASCII, it's Unicode's first half-row;
Though it is a turkey that we know must die,
   While systems still chop off bits that are high,
   It is the only charset that will always fly,
ASCII, on with the show!
ASCII, on with the show!

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com