ISO language codes versus country codes

Havard Hjulstad havard@hjulstad.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 11:00:32 +0200

Havard Hjulstad
(convener of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1; project editor of ISO 639-1)

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-languages-admin@alvestrand.no
[mailto:ietf-languages-admin@alvestrand.no]On Behalf Of Sean M. Burke
Sent: 16. mai 2002 00:33
To: ietf-languages@iana.org
Subject: ISO language codes versus country codes

Recently I've been trying my hand at software localization by getting
friends and friends-of-friends to help me localize the open-source program
Namp (a.k.a. Apache::MP3 -- <http://namp.sourceforge.net/i18n/burke.shtml>)
into various languages.  Along the way, I've discovered that many people
don't know the language tag for their own language, because they (falsely)
assume it to be the same as the country code.  Consider jp/ja for
Japan/Japanese, cz/cs, cn/zh, my/ms, si/sl, ua/uk, se/sv, etc.

My question, and it is a historical one, is:
How did these differences come to be?

--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/