ISO 3166 (country codes) Maintenance Agency Web pages move

John Cowan jcowan@reutershealth.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:16:41 -0500

Mark Crispin wrote:

> In the case of
> Romanians and Gypsies, you have two very different peoples, each

> with a strong sense of identity, who do not want to be confused

> with the other.

Passports, however, are issued by the Romanian state to citizens of
that state as such, and not in their capacity as ethnic Romanians.
There are lots of ethnic Hungarians (and a small number of Germans,
Ukrainians, and of course Roma) there too.

Unless indeed citizenship is restricted to ethnic Romanians --
I have no evidence of this, but certainly (given the admitted facts of
history) it would not astonish me.  If Germany can maintain the
lex sanguinis into the 21st century, why not Romania?

#include <stddisclaimer.h>

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com