Sami again

A. Vine andrea.vine@sun.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:47:35 -0800

Michael Everson wrote:

> At 00:29 +0000 2002-02-19, John Clews wrote:
>
> >As a speaker of English, living in England, I maintain that it's not
> >true that "the -aa- is certainly unnecessary in English."
>
> It is unnecessary in this word. And it is not helpful, nor arguably necessary.
>
> Sami would on the face of it rhyme with swami,

Maybe if paired as such people might see it that way; but on its own, in the US
or among any of the British I have ever met (or live with), it is much more
likely to come out "Sammy".

Whether or not "Sammy" is an acceptable pronunciation is another matter.  But I
don't want the non-native English folks on this list to be mislead in to
thinking that all English speakers will see "Sami" and pronounce it "Sah-mee".

Andrea