Analysis of ISO 639 and mappings to SIL Ethnologue

Peter_Constable@sil.org Peter_Constable@sil.org
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:58:53 -0600

[apologies in advance to those who receive this multiple times]

In connection to work that Gary Simons and I have been doing in
interaction with ISO/TC 37/SC 2/WG 1, we have added some new pages to the
Ethnologue web site that present an analysis we have done of the existing
ISO 639 language codes together with a proposed mapping of those codes to
entries in the SIL Ethnologue. Here are some relevant URLs:

- http://www.ethnologue.com/iso639/ -- entry point and intro (the
following pages can be reached via links from this page)

- http://www.ethnologue.com/iso639/codes.asp -- a table of current ISO 639
codes, with links for each code to a report showing our proposed mapping
to Ethnologue entries

- http://www.ethnologue.com/iso639/analysis.asp -- our analysis of ISO 639
codes

- http://www.ethnologue.com/iso639/An_analysis_of_ISO_639.pdf -- a paper
describing the principles by which we derived our proposed mapping and
some issues that arise from the analysis (this is the paper I presented at
IUC 20)

- http://www.ethnologue.com/codes/ -- information on the codes used in the
Ethnologue, with links to downloadable files containing core language data
from the Ethnologue

>From the first page mentioned above, you will find links to downlodable
files containing the mapping data.

It should be noted that our analysis and proposed mapping have not been
approved by ISO, though they are being given consideration. Some of the
principles we adopted in deciding on mappings may turn out to be different
from what ISO would want to adopt. We adopted those principles based on
our understanding of what would best suit the interests of TC 37 (though
not necessarily TC 46 -- due mainly to the circumstance of which committee
we happened to be interacting with), and viewed them as a proposal for ISO
to consider and revise as might be needed.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>