Proposal: Language code "de-DE-trad"

John Cowan cowan@mercury.ccil.org
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 16:25:02 -0500 (EST)

John Clews scripsit:

> 1. Are there more than one set of conventions that came in at amy
> times previous to 1996, or was it all uniform? It's an open question:
> I just have no detailed knowldege of German. However, it may also be
> possible that "trad" might need to be broken up into more detail.

The last German spelling reform was in 1901, featuring things like
"th" > "t" (they had been pronounced the same for centuries, of course).
So if a distinction must be made, one could use de-??-1901 instead.
I suspect that most of the pre-1901 materials represented in
digital form are in fact given in 1901 (or 1996) orthography.
Nevertheless, these codes are supposed to be useful for
non-digital works as well.

What I don't know is whether the 1901 reform created any sort
of ambiguities.

> 2. Conversely, assuming that there is no problem with "trad", might a
> "trad" be applied to Chinese, so that you get something like zh-trad
> and zh-[something else]?

zh-simp?

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There