J.Wilkes jwilkes@metabit.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:24:21 -0100

On 26 Apr 2002 at 13:30, John Cowan wrote:

> J.Wilkes scripsit:
>
> > The works of Benn, Rilke, Fried, Jandl, Arp, Arno Schmidt and many more will
> > simply not work anymore with the 1996 orthography. When read in a 1996
> > orthography scope, they get skewed and distorted; and their beauty vandalised.
>
> The works of Goethe and Schiller become disgusting and illegible when transcribed
> into the 1901 orthography, and even worse when typeset in Antiqua.  Nothing
> but the authors' original Suetterlin handwriting (in facsimile) will do
> in order to properly capture their undistorted poetic vision, and he who
> writes "sei" for "sey", or "tun" for "thun", is damned to orthographic
> Hell forthwith.

Aye.

;^)

Please excuse my outburst. My home is language, not country.

And to answer without joking: Goethe and Schiller would probably not object to
transcription of many of their works, since the content was often more important to
them than form. Both were not meticulous workers, but rather part of the "Sturm und
Drang" era. (detailed discussion elsewhere, please)
On the other hand, some of the poets I mentioned spent hours over single words and
even punctuation; in this case, I think it is obvious that any change will distort what
was intended.
Changing the punctuation in legal documents over which many persons spend many
hours, honing the words and their interpretation, will likely have adverse effects as
well.

I hope this explanation is more acceptable.

Johannes Wilkes
--
metabit * software and networks * heterogenous,distributed,generative
Fon:(+49)228/242488-0 * Fax: (+49)228/242488-7