Request: Language Code "de-DE-1996"

John Cowan jcowan@reutershealth.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:06:55 -0400 (EDT)

A. Vine scripsit:

> Now, I'm assuming you were trying to make the distinction between the 1996
> orthography for Germany's German vs. that of Austria's German.  The question is,
> is the de-AT-1996 pointing to a different orthography from de-DE-1996?  And if
> so, shouldn't it be de-1996-AT?  But 3066 doesn't allow that order.

Actually it does. A two-letter first subtag is always a country code,
but a later subtag may or may not be a country code, since its validity
depends on registration.  You can register de-42-US-314159 if you
can think of something to make it mean, and there is no reason to
think that the "-US-" part refers to the U.S.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com