Request: Language Code "de-DE-1996"

Peter_Constable@sil.org Peter_Constable@sil.org
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:20:33 -0500

On 04/23/2002 07:06:42 AM Martin Duerst wrote:

>At 12:19 02/04/23 +0100, Michael Everson wrote:
>
>>OK. I agree. Does EVERYONE else agree? :-) Martin Dst does I see from an
>>earlier e-mail.
>
>I do, except for the fact that there is no distinction between
>e.g. de-1996 and de-DE-1996:

I hadn't noticed this detail. This makes me want to ask Torsten: what's the
difference between these:

de-1901
German, traditional orthography
Deutsch, alte Rechtschreibung

de-DE-1901
German, German variant, traditional orthography
Deutsch, deutsche Form, alte Rechtschreibung

Also, not being that familiar with German let alone how it's used in
different countries, what's the distinction being referred by by the
country codes? Are these orthographic distinctions? If not, then I may
rescind the comment I made in response to John Cowan -- I said that the
form of these tags fits with the overall model I have proposed assuming
that the country codes in these tags are there to distinguish between
country-specific orthography variants -- spelling differences.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>