emoji (was Re: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 21 22:15:06 CET 2017

(FYI: I'm going to be on vacation next week and hope not to reply then 😊)

The difficulty with your argument that I advocate against emoji to my company and customers is that I do not perceive emoji as a "bad idea" :)  Certainly not at the magnitude you are suggesting.  Therefore, it is difficult to me to argue that position.

Yes, emoji are not letters.  Yes, registrars have been permitting emoji and allowing their registration.  No, DNS has not fallen over because of that.  And no, ICAAN has not come down with a big stick or something to try to prevent this.

I have seen no additional security bulletins or alerts because of emoji in IDN.  Indeed, most of the phishing/spoofing attacks continue to be plain ASCII "yourbank.safe.info" type attacks.

I totally get the need/desire for a well behaved identifier so that if I want to find https://memory.loc.gov/ammem/alhtml/almss/dep001.html then I can actually find it.  Well, kinda, probably, maybe.  Many websites seem to restructure their content every few years, but the idea is sane.  I don't see how allowing emoji in IDN harms this goal.  Sure, it probably doesn't help, but harm?

I’m a little confused with your suggestion that the industry "get with the program", so to speak.  (And that I should apparently lead the effort.)  DNS customers have clearly demonstrated that they are quite willing to pay money to register emoji IDNs, and the other players seem willing to enable that behavior.  The industry has spoken and they have chosen to do something that does not conform to a strict reading of the RFCs.  Instead, they follow compatibility guidelines of The Unicode Consortium, which I might point out is another standards organization, and enabled by ICANN.

The position of these people is not a terrible surprise, it was discussed numerous times within the working group, however their wishes did not make it to the final RFCs.  It is probably not surprising that the industry has been seeking other ways to extend the IDNA behavior to get their desired functionality.

The discussion of whether or not a company needs or should cater to the whims of their customers starts to get a little off-topic (but I did bring it up)...

To your guidance to educate the customer.  (I'm not saying emoji is good or bad here, but talking in general about how customer requests impact business decisions).

Yes, sometimes governments do take extremely stupid positions and force the industry to cave to those demands or else.  Often the governments can be gently informed as to their error.  Sometimes that doesn't take.  Occasionally companies choose to abandon those markets, even extremely large ones, when the restrictions are to onerous.  Sometimes the industry knocks sense into the regulators.  Sometimes they fail.

And sometimes it's not a government, but rather an important customer that requests a "feature" that does not seem wise.  Usually the correct response is to politely educate them and help them to find a better solution to their problem.  Sometimes they're obstinate and either unwilling or unable to adopt a better behavior.  Sometimes there is money involved (most of these are, of course, for-profit ventures, and even not-for-profit ones need to pay the bills).

I am hearing an pretty consistent story from the registrars, ICANN, browser developers, Unicode, etc, that emoji is interesting in IDN.  The only place I'm getting a hearing otherwise is here.

-Shawn

Total digression:  Heck, Pizza Hut messed up my order so I was inspired to do their survey and I mistyped the URL.  The first link in the search results was a spoofing site pretending to have their survey.  (pizzahutsurvey.surveysRus.com or something).  Indeed, it was "good enough" that I was confused why the URL was different and thought maybe they'd outsourced their survey.  Being one of the 0.1% of the people that actually understand the danger here, I went ahead and retyped it and landed on the real site.  The real site was completely different, but the other seemed just as "professional", and could have easily phished email/phone/etc from disgruntled Pizza Hut customers.  *I* almost didn't catch it (though I confess if I'd clicked a couple pages further I probably would have).  No emoji were harmed in that experience.