I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 12 09:47:35 CET 2017

On 3/12/2017 12:05 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 10:14:58PM -0800, Asmus Freytag wrote:
>> There's an absolute limit on what you can achieve on the "per code point"
>> level. Because users interact with the system on the "per label" level.
> I'd say even worse: users interact with the system on the "domain
> name" level, or maybe on the level of thinking that anything with a
> dot in it is a domain name and that they follow natual language
> spelling rules.

Good point.

Users may well expect that "example.net" and "example.com" can be freely
substituted, especially where "example" is a well-known name. But in
addition, unless the user agent tries to interfere, they are ready to
treat "http://some_garbage/example.com/more_garbage" the same as
"httlp://example.com/some_garbage".

So, yes, I agree that even label-centric policies are but one ring in
that system of defenses.

This just further underscores the point about the futility of trying for
absolute perfection on the issue of  code point repertoire selection alone.

A./