I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Sat Mar 11 22:52:06 CET 2017

I'm not at all sure where language has anything to do with it.  And language independence is critical as the people trying to use the IDN may not be native speakers of the IDN's language.

The fundamental "problem" is that some things seem like other things to some people some of the time.

The size of the set of codepoints makes that inevitable.

There's been tons of discussion about strange quirks of seriously esoteric characters and how those can lead to identifiers that seem disparate, but aren't (or vice versa.)  Kinda like ratholing on naive vs naïve.

Yet we completely ignore other common problems, like Mueller vs Müller - which are admittedly language independent.

In my opinion, part of the problem is goals:  Human usability vs machine uniqueness.  For machine uniqueness I'd think any set of rules would suffice because it boils down to a bunch of numbers.  For human usability you end up with confusables being an issue.  Those cannot be perfectly resolved because there are lots of minor pixel variations that are perfectly valid yet different.

Another human usability desire is to have the "right" display form, so that my businesses advertising "looks right" and yet customers can still find my business online.  IMO, that's the most interesting part of mapping, allowing pretty human forms to turn into machine-readable and somewhat consistent forms.  An unfortunate problem of the mapping is that the mapped form may not be as pretty.

There's perhaps another perceived unspoken requirement for uniqueness while still round-tripping through humans.  IMO, that's an unachievable expectation; there's no way a human can transcribe all of the reasonable names perfectly every time.  We can't even get O and 0 right, so dot below vs comma below or other more subtle issues are hopeless when written on a napkin.

I'd prefer that the IETF standard be very lax with respect to permissible characters, and, coming back to your document, encourage registrars to do the right thing for their customers with respect to permissible &/or mapped characters.

-Shawn