[Errata Held for Document Update] RFC5890 (4823)

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 8 22:08:57 CEST 2016

I find that I'm with Martin on this one in preferring a narrow scope for
errata, and in keeping the errata process separate from pending updates.

An erratum should present a more-or-less minimal fix to correct a
misstatement in the original specification, not revise what it attempts
to state.

The misstatement in the original text is a dual one. It conflates
Unicode characters with octets and gives an incorrect number.

The word "longer" clearly applies only to the storage requirement, not
to the number of code points. My beef with the proposed "corrected text"
would be that it gets that backwards. In addition, it suffers from the
fact that 59 code points do not necessarily correspond to 236 octets.

Tweaked Corrected Text
--------------
Because A-labels (the form actually used in the
DNS) are potentially much more compressed than UTF-8 (and UTF-8 is,
in general, more compressed that UTF-16 or UTF-32), U-labels that
obey all of the relevant symmetry (and other) constraints of these
documents may be quite a bit longer, potentially up to 236 octets, corresponding to 59 characters (Unicode code points).

Tweaking the last sentence, would make the correction be a more narrow fix.

a) it corrects the number
b) it retains the focus on storage size
c) it retains the mention of Unicode characters

By turning around the numbers, the text fixes the issue that 59 code
points do not necessarily correspond to 236 octets. However, a U-Label
of 236 octets ALWAYS corresponds to 59 code points, no matter which
encoding form you choose.

A./