[Errata Held for Document Update] RFC5890 (4823)

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Fri Oct 7 23:18:19 CEST 2016

For whatever it is worth, I agree with Markus.  This whole
discussion indicates to me that I/we said rather too much in
5890 and that the correct solution is to talk about code points
and then stop.   In that context, the proposed "corrected text"
below could be further improved by saying what we mean, which
is, more or less,

	"DNS labels are limited to a maximum length of 63 octets
	[RFC 1034] which, if only traditional ASCII characters
	are involved, becomes a 63 character limit.  The
	symmetric relationship between U-labels and A-labels and
	properties of the Punyocde encoding used in the latter
	effectively impose a smaller limit of no more than 59
	Unicode code points".

That should be all we need to say and, incidentally, we should
only need to say it once.

This is useful to resolve now because there is a document being
developed that is likely  to be posted as an I-D fairly soon.
That document, for other reasons, will update 5890.  So, unlike
the usual situation in which "Hold for Document Update" implies
a really long time, drafts for that update could be only weeks
in the future.  Resolving what the community wants now could
save some time and repeating the pain this issue and erratum has
caused already.

    john

--On Friday, October 07, 2016 13:16 -0700 Markus Scherer