IAB Statement on Identifiers and Unicode 7.0.0

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jan 28 21:58:41 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 03:02:16PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> principle, we could abandon IDNs and go back to an "above DNS"
> approach.   I wouldn't want to be the one to explain that to the
> domain or other communities, even after recognizing that, in
> practice, it is what most users, using most browsers, are
> experiencing with the web today.

Also, just to point out the generality of what's in the IAB statement,
that wouldn't solve other cases, where we don't have the relevant
substrate to rely on.  Usernames (and their friends, email addresses
and XMPP ids and so on) don't necessarily have an alternative.

If this were _only_ about domain names, I can imagine the IAB having
issued a different set of observations.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com