[Json] Json and U+08A1 and related cases

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 25 03:57:50 CET 2015

On 1/24/2015 5:15 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> As long as we’re being very open about the identifiers, I think that
> DNS may have been intended to be unique identifiers, but they have
> evolved into human readable (for the most part) identifiers.  If they
> were “just” unique, a bunch if #s would’ve sufficed.  Clearly now they
> are not just unique identifiers, but also cater to linguistic behavior.

They are reasonably mnemonic, without being subject in all instances to
the same rules as actual words or phrases.

> I think that the important part of the name resolution isn’t whether
> or not certain characters are “allowed”, but rather that they resolve
> to the same thing (eg: they’re identifiers).

There are at least two flavors of "allowed" here.

One is whether a code point is permitted by the protocol, or, perhaps
permitted in certain contexts. The protocol addresses this in a black &
white manner, globally.

The other is, whether two labels may exist, that differ only by two,
otherwise confusable (or homograph) code points/sequences.

Here, you have two basic options.

You can set up an exclusion mechanism. Once one of the labels has been
registered, the other can no longer be registered. (In some contexts,
these are called "blocked variants"). This mechanism works fine for a
whole lot of scenarios. It doesn't a-priori elminate any of the
variants, so if one language needs one, while another language needs the
other, you can have users of both languages compete normally for the
available name space, without allowing malicious or accidental spoofing.
Such an exclusion mechanism, if mechanically applied (without
case-by-case review and/or appeals), is a robust method to manage such
contentions. It has the further advantage that it impacts only
registration of labels, not their lookup.

The other option is the one you describe:

> I don’t think that it’s important that DNS support all possible
> combinations, but that where names are resolved that they are
> consistent.  Currently 5 names can resolve to the same IP, and I don’t
> see a problem with that.  So I think that it should be totally
> possible for the “confusable” characters to merely resolve to the same
> thing.  Eg: be bundled.  Sure, then people can’t register some names
> that use similar letters (or variations), but then it isn’t
> confusing.  Also you have a round-tripping problem because if 5 names
> resolve to the same thing, which do you display?

this kind of bundling is called "allocatable variants" in some contexts.
They can be appropriate where there is a reasonable expectation that
some users would use one, and other users would use one of the other
variants in a bundle to access the same IP. Either, because users
normally don't make the distinction reliably enough, or because
depending on system configuration etc. they may normally not be able to
input one of the variants. There are examples in Arabic and Chinese
where this kind of thing is done today, and for good reason.

However, the downside of this approach is that you can quickly get a
very large number of variant labels (especially if the label is long)
because variant code points could appear in many positions (and even the
set of variant code points at a given position could be larger than just
2 or 3).

When you work this out for the FQDN, the number of names for the same IP
could be interestingly large. Also, since there's no way to enforce
this, you may not actually end at the same IP. But at least, as long as
the bundle goes to the same registrant, it would present a block to
malicious spoofing by a third party.

In the case we are discussing here (the one that lead IETF to delay the
IDNA tables for Unicode 7.0), I see no case for doing something like a
bundle. There simply isn't the expectation that some users would
regularly use the code point sequence to input the label. In fact,
normally, if you did anything on the protocol level it would be a
context rule to disallow the sequence altogether (it's not really
needed). However, it was there first, and all that, so on the protocol
level you can't do anything, or nothing that wouldn't make the situation
worse.

Next best thing is to recommend that zone operators implement the kind
of exclusion mechanism represented by 'blocked variants'.

A./