Eszett

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 13 20:07:18 CEST 2014

IDNA2003 provided mapping rules that mapped eszett to ss.  IDNA2008 decided that didn’t allow full support for a language, and decided to remove the mapping (so it’d get it’s own punycode).  However most browsers use the UTS#46 transitional rules because that would allow a link that previously went to one server to end up going to a new server if IDNA2008 rules were applied.

IMO I’d really like to see a “display” record so that if someone wanted their display name (that equivalent to the IDNA canonical form) look a certain way, then they could for presentation.

-Shawn