Visually confusable characters (4)

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 10 22:16:44 CEST 2014

On 8/9/2014 10:48 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

John,

I thought it best to reply to your points individually, as some
branches of the discussion are probably not going to be as deep.

As you wrote them "in no particular order", I'm going to respond
to them in the same way.

This message responds to point (4)

A./

> (4) Discussions about applying and enforcing global restrictions
> to naming that are not justified in terms about which there is
> broad consensus in the domain and Internet domain-user
> communities (and the "strings that look alike compare equal"
> principle, even though it is a little vague and involves edge
> cases, is one of those) can be separated from global political
> discussions.
>
> This one is possible, but unlikely, especially when issues or
> disagreements can be turned into questions about whether ICANN
> can be trusted with self-management and self-oversight or
> whether the tendency of various ICANN-associated bodies to want
> to overreach (whether for laudable or venial reasons) requires
> external supervision and/or appeals mechanisms with significant
> authority.

John,

this one, I'm actually not sure what you are trying to communicate.

A./