Update to clarify combining characters

J-F C. Morfin jfc at morfin.org
Tue Apr 22 23:58:09 CEST 2014

John,
it seems that all this is becoming political and economical issues
totally out of the IETF end to end and my fringe to fringe scopes.

At 22:15 22/04/2014, John C Klensin wrote:
>Wabanaki is no different from the examples that Cary gives for
>Swedish except that Wabanaki, to paraphrase a comment made about
>another somewhat-endangered language, has a considerably smaller
>army and navy than Swedish.

The interest of such examples, when they are supported by dedicated
and competent persons such as Eric, is that a good technology and
governance are to be neutral particulars. This needs to be tested by
dedicated people. This calls for the same amount of work and
competence for every language. So the real issue is not so much to
have a small or a big army/navy but to have motivated ones and the
widest diversity of them. Each one contributes to the common interest.

>In the context of this discussion, I note that, while there are
>apparently a significant number of minority and endangered languages
>in Brazil, there do not seem to be advocates for any of them on the
>agenda of the NETMundial meetings this week.

The preparation of NETMundial has mostly shown that what is
endangered is the internet as anything else than an edge provider
shared network. This makes a so large multitude of people, concepts
and things that have to find a non-ICANN solution that we may hope we
get a self-organized criticality (SOC) complementary approach.

>At 23:48 22/04/2014, Peter Occil wrote:
>And the Bidi Rule conflicts with the statement in the same section
>of RFC 5890 that says that "IDNA is defined for labels, not for
>parts of them and not for complete domain names", and the Bidi Rule
>applies to "domain names", not "labels", at least in the sense that
>labels in only some domain names are subject to the rule.

I am interested in learning what "parts of label" means; and about
"aaa-bbb" dash separated labels.

jfc

jfc