Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Thu Aug 22 12:37:58 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:
> On 21/08/13 16:45, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> I doubt that would be true for subdomains. E.g. I know people using
>> http://☺.example.com/ as domain (forgot whether that particular code
>> point is excluded, but you get the idea).
>
> Shame for them. The writing has been on the wall here for long enough
> that they should not be at all surprised when this stops working.

I don't think that's at all true. I doubt anyone realizes this. I
certainly didn't until I put long hours into investigating the IDNA
situation.

Furthermore, we generally preserve compatibility on the web so URLs
and documents remain working.
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html It's one of the more
important parts of this platform.

--