Lookup for reserved LDH labels

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Nov 8 10:37:04 CET 2012

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 02:18:37PM +0100, Marcos Sanz wrote:
>>>
>>> Then it will not be difficult for somebody to point us to the relevant
>>> part in the spec that allegedly states that the lookup algorithm must fail
>>> for reserved LDH-labels that are not XN-labels (e.g. "ad--acta"). I'd
>>> really appreciate if somebody did that.
>>
>>    Definitions document [RFC5890].  Putative U-labels with any of the
>>    following characteristics MUST be rejected prior to DNS lookup:
>>
>>    o  Labels that are not in NFC [Unicode-UAX15].
>>
>>    o  Labels containing "--" (two consecutive hyphens) in the third and
>>       fourth character positions.
>>
>> This is in section 5.4.  Because of the way that section is
>> structured, those labels are (at the time of evaluation given the
>> protocol definition) actually putative U-labels.
>
> Do you consider "ad--acta" a putative U-label?

Heh, you basically answered "no" on that question here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.idnabis/6960/focus=6968

So I don't follow why you believe the text above has bearing here,
unless you changed your mind whether "ad--acta" is a putative U-label.

Btw, that thread is useful to re-read.  It contains discussion
overlapping the same issue as is being discussed now.

/Simon