Draft on IDN Tables in XML

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Mon Mar 12 14:23:31 CET 2012

Hi Jaap,

On Mar 12, 2012, at 3:34 AM, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

As far as I know, the idea of the tables have always been to provide
a public central place where the registries could list which
characters they support and which they don't in their registrer
plolicies. It is an "for your information only" registry and meant
for human consumption.

And Kim, do correct me if this isn't the case anymore.

It is certainly correct that the notion of tables is to publicly share registry policy as it relates to code points that are accepted for registration. I think, however, it is a bit beyond merely informational, as a key driver in publishing them has been to allow sharing and re-use by other registries. Having a machine readable format that allows the tables to be imported and repurposed aids this greatly.

One of the reasons I feel this is a good initiative is an increasing number of tables appear to be published as PDF files with various contextual rules described in paragraphs of normative text. It would be nice to reverse this trend and have a format rich enough that it can express most if not all registry policies in a common way using a set of agreeable primitives.

kim