Proposed new Firefox IDN display algorithm

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Jan 30 14:09:07 CET 2012

On 24/01/12 04:37, Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir wrote:
> You have mentioned in your wiki page: "We also have a character
> blacklist - characters we will never display under any circumstances.
> This includes those which could be used to spoof the separators "/"
> and ".", and invisible characters. (XXX Do we need to update this to
> remove some of those, like ZWJ/ZWNJ?)"
>
> Does this list published publicly? What are the factors that decide
> whenever the character is a spoof or not?

I can't remember if I replied to this; the list is here:
https://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/modules/libpref/src/init/all.js#984
(network.IDN.blacklist_chars preference)

We came up with the list a few years ago; I can't remember the exact
process, but I suspect it will have been inspired by lists of characters
which are similar to protocol separators, plus non-visible characters.

Gerv