Proposed new Firefox IDN display algorithm

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sat Feb 4 17:19:22 CET 2012

On 30/01/12 16:42, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> No, it is to make the tests more specific to given languages, as a way
> of excluding unfamiliar characters from the same script.  There are, for
> example, many Latin characters, more than most people realize; even
> excluding compatibility variants, it is over 1000. Someone might not
> realize that 'ꜱ' is not a regular 's', but a special small cap version,
> for example.

Aha. I think it would expect the problem raised by that particular
example to be solved by a normalization step, or by the exclusions of
IDNA2008. Is that foolish of me?

> CLDR provides information on which characters are used in which
> languages, allowing someone to limit characters to those supported by,
> for example, official languages or those supported in the UI of a
> product. (This may not be a good strategy IMO, but is a technique
> suitable for some environments.)

My gut feeling is that this restriction is probably not appropriate for
IDN display in Firefox, as it would involve us deciding which characters
were "really" part of a script.

Gerv