Lower casing

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Jan 27 23:20:17 CET 2011

2011/1/27 John C Klensin <klensin at jck.com>

> --On Thursday, January 27, 2011 08:56 -0800 Mark Davis ☕
> <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:
>
> > Mark
> >>
> >> Then I'm stuck, and I would appreciate clarification from
> >> everyone about what IDNA2008 is saying.  Your second test
> >> case is:
> >>
> >> B;      FASS.DE;        fass.de;        ;
> >>
> >> The only place (that I can find) where IDNA2008 converts to
> >> lower case is in the following paragraph:
> > Sorry I wasn't not clear; The second column is the "Source",
> > which you need to ignore since you are not mapping.
> >
> > Let's take a couple of lines:
> >
> > N;    Faß.de; faß.de <http://fass.de> <http://fass.de>;
> xn--fa-hia.de;
> >
> > You would only look at the 3rd and 4th columns for testing, so
> > faß.de <http://fass.de><http://fass.de>
> > and xn--fa-hia.de.
>
> Mark, as a suggestion for both the tool and the web page, it may
> be worth noting that, while mapping (or one flavor or another)
> is optional with IDNA2008, the one restriction is that one must
> not map a PVALID character to something else.  Whatever the
> advantages of doing so --for transition reasons, personal
> preferences, or otherwise-- a program or system that remaps one
> PVALID character into one or more others is not in conformance
> with the intent of the IDNA2008 standards.

Yes, I agree.

The only 4 characters that have such a mapping are for the transitional
(migration) from IDNA2003. It should be clear from the text that such a
mapping isn't fully conformant to IDNA2008; if it needs further
clarification, let me know.

In adding instructions for IDNA2008 testing, we'll make it clear that the T
lines should be skipped for fully IDNA2008 conformant implementations.