Bidi tests on labels or domains?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sun Jan 9 13:38:47 CET 2011

Simon,

all of the tests in IDNA2008 are oriented around labels, not around domain
names. This means that each test applies, independently, to each label. The
existence of an RTL label does not necessarily force any special testing on
other labels in the domain name. If any particular label contains an RTL
character (ie is take from an RTL-script), that label needs to be bidi
tested.

the clue is here:

If the proposed label contains any characters from scripts that are
  written from right to left, it MUST meet the Bidi criteria [RFC5893].

since these are label by label tests (and not inter-label tests), only those
labels that actually contain RTL characters need to be tested.

vint