xn--p1ai

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 25 00:51:00 CET 2011

We, also, will continue to map IDN, and whenever we update IdnToAscii(), etc. in Windows/.Net we will use UTS#46.  Which is consumed by IE and others.  I also advocate that position to developers using the Windows and .Net SDKs through my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/2010/12/08/idna-is-it-fussball-or-fu-223-ball.aspx , and I imagine it’ll probably also eventually make it into the documentation on MSDN.

FWIW: Currently released products, including Win7 SP1/Server 2008 R2 SP1, have IDNA2003 behavior, and the life cycle of those products is reasonably long, so I expect to see IDNA2003 behavior for some time.  That’s part of why we’re also any future updates would also adopt the transitional part of UTS#46.  Internet Explorer depends on the OS behavior right now.

This mix-up seems to demonstrate that mappings are useful, and even taken for granted sometimes ;-)

-Shawn