I-D Action:draft-faltstrom-5892bis-02.txt

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Mon Feb 21 22:09:33 CET 2011

On 21 feb 2011, at 21.58, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I didn't understand John's argument that we have an incompatibility
> regardless of what we do

Either we have stability in the algorithm (as now proposed) or we have stability in the table which is the result of the calculation of the algorithm.

IDNA2008 is defined as being an _algorithm_ that should be stable, so an application can apply it regardless of what version of Unicode we talk about.

Because the algorithm is based on property values that now changes for three codepoints, the result of the calculation is not stable.

The alternative would be to change the algorithm, and that would make the codepoints not change, but the algorithm changes.

IDNA2003 was a table based solution.

IDNA2008 is an algorithm based solution.

   Patrik