Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Dec 12 13:04:37 CET 2011

On 12/12/11 06:54, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> Yes indeed. The browser vendors overreacted on issues such as
> script-mixing, stuff that the user isn't able to read, and so on,
> because overreacting was easier than a more careful reaction, and they
> were able to say that they did something.

Perhaps if we are throwing blame around, a little could be reserved for
registries which said "this is not our problem, guvnor, it's intended to
work this way"?

I deny the charge that we over-reacted. The list of reasons for our
policy at the bottom of this page:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/tld-idn-policy-list.html
was compelling then and is still pretty compelling today IMO.

Gerv