Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Dec 12 11:54:27 CET 2011

On 09/12/11 18:10, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the code, but I think that (A) may actually be:
>
> A (IE, Chrome): Unicode if the (single) 'script' of the string matches
> one of the scripts of the user's language(s) in the options,
> Punycode otherwise.
>
> It is pretty easy and reliable to detect the script of the string,
> whereas language detection would be unreliable.

I can quite believe it may be something like this; but how does one deal
with the impedance mismatch that users think they are defining
languages, but what you need is scripts? Does IE keep a script/language
mapping? Is that data (perhaps compiled by others) publicly available
somewhere, e.g. from the Unicode consortium?

Gerv