Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

James Seng james at seng.sg
Sun Dec 11 01:15:18 CET 2011

On Sunday, December 11, 2011, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> With the exceptions for combinations of various scripts and script
> COMMON.
> >
> > In fact, mixed scripts are fine and desired  in many situations.
>
> Yes.

Many languages uses more than one script in their written system. Even
Chinese which most people think is merely CJK Unified Ideograph would use
ASCII and sometimes others like Bopomofo.

> > Think of Romaji in Japan which cannot be confused with Kana and Kanji.
> So in that case it is perfectly OK to have a white list of scripts that can
> be mixed with Latin (which is the typical case).
>
> Sure, if you think there is a single entity who can make the whitelist of
> scripts that can be combined in a single label.
>
> I believe that there is not. I would like to be wrong.

Instead of trying to say what language would use a script sets and
therefore display it as U-label, why not the other way round? We know
latin/cyrillic combination would be a problem. We know there would be other
combination of scripts would be a problem. We make combination of those
scripts and display them in Punycode UNLESS the "language" of the string is
configured in the options.

I think we need a combination of auto-detect problem U-labels and a
whitelist.

-James Seng