Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Dec 9 15:22:03 CET 2011

Dear Gervase,

IMHO if we want to force everyone to be happy in the only way we
would want and use mandatory lists, we will make no one happy. IDNofA
as an architecture is broken: your questions demonstrate it: five
sister applications, at least 3 approximative different behaviours,
and possibly five different IP resolution.

The only stable solution is a single common IDNApplication because
there is a single common Internet DNS. This was not in our charter,
but this was Lisa Dussault's wished us to address once we agreed over
the WG/LC. Either the IAB eventually documents it, or we will
disseminate it. The point is in the "WITISWISISWIS" IDNApplications
requirement: what I type is what I see is what I send.

Please let us explain around that :

- there are 22500 language entities throught the world listed by the
FLOSS Linguasphere database.
- there will be billions of TLDs and trillions of IDNs supported by
IDv6 (IPv6 ID used on a global basis)
- the open code browsers will be forked to support IDNA transparent support.

Why not to just keep the browsers transparent and support your 3
buckets as a single option set (one can chose the default depending
on the local needs pattern). As they are I really fail to see how
each of these bucket can clearly and easily support plurilingual
users, multilingual applications or be used in an aerport or hotel cybercafe.

jfc