Potential Erratum re. length limits in RFC 5890

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Sep 30 03:31:09 CEST 2010

Ken is right about the maximal source label length being at least 252 in the
absence of mapping.

With the use of mapping, however, it could be substantially longer. This can
happen a series of characters in the source can map to a single character,
and then are mapped to a single byte in Punycode. That can happen with
IDNA2008, or with UTS46 (or any other mapping preprocessing for IDNA2008).

So it is best to just avoid a mention of a limit like 252; either that or
explain the situation in more detail.

====

Details. As illustration, suppose that you had the following, in UTF32.

00 00 00 41 00 00 03 08 00 00 03 04

That sequence, when normalized to NFC, yields

U+01DE ( Ǟ ) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS AND MACRON, one
character.

Repeat it 57 times. That is of length 684.

When normalized under NFC, you get

ǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞǞ

That turns into the valid Punycode:

xn--bkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mark

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*