referencing IDNA2008 (and IDNA2003?)

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Mon Oct 25 21:17:05 CEST 2010

Well, there is definitely FUD involved, but often FUD is in the eye of the
beholder.

> We had experimental confirmation that the terminology in
IDNA2003 created a certain amount of confusion.

> How serious an incompatibility that is depends on how far one
wants to go to support characters that have been recognized as
bad practices since 2003 and earlier just because someone,

We had anecdotal evidence, not 'confirmation'. I do find some of the
conclusions reasonable -- for example, it is credible that people
registering labels that are mapped (eg ÖBB.at) might believe that what they
had registered was the unmapped version, whereas what they actually
registered was the mapped version (eg öbb.at <http://xn--bb-eka.at>), and
that such misunderstandings can cause problems.

But to justify the backwards incompatibilities, we *never* got any hard data
(no statistics by TLDs, none for the many other registries) to justify the
need for the thousands of backwards incompatibilities. No measurable impact
of what were felt to be "bad" practices; just anecdotes. So speaking of
'confirmation' is misleading.

Don't get me wrong; now that IDNA2008 is in place, we need to move to it.
But there will be a period of transition. It is easy to someone who doesn't
have product responsibilities to shrug that off, but those who do have
user-facing products are faced with dealing with the transition issues.

Mark

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*