referencing IDNA2008 (and IDNA2003?)

jean-michel bernier de portzamparc jmabdp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 21:21:46 CEST 2010

2010/10/24 Mark Davis ☕ <mark at macchiato.com>

> > These A-label having been initially registered as IDNA2003, IDNA2008 or
> xn-ascii does not make any difference.
>
> There is a bit of a problem in terminology. I used the term "punycode
> label" to include labels of the form "xn--...", where the ... is valid
> Punycode representations (in ASCII) of a Unicode string (with non-ASCII
> characters).

This seems to be an IDNA2003 and IDNA2008 well acceptable definition?

> If we are speaking precisely, the term "A-Label" is defined in IDNA2008,
> and is more restrictive. It does not include all the punycode labels that
> are valid in IDNA2003. So "http://xn--1-wpn.blogspot.com/" (= http://€
> 1.blogspot.com/) does not have an A-Label in it, but is a punycode label,
> and is valid in IDNA2003.

This is also my understanding. But I understand it is only more restrictive
because the IDNA2008 conversion terms are more restrictive.

> Because A-Label is defined in IDNA2008 (not in IDNA2003), we should follow
> the IDNA2008 definition precisely. Otherwise communication becomes difficult
> -- two people think they are in agreement about a point involving A-Labels,
> when they mean different things, and are thus not in agreement.

Agreement. IDNA2003 stated (RFC 3490) : "While all ACE labels begin with the
ACE prefix, not all labels beginning with the ACE prefix are necessarily ACE
labels." How should I call non-ACE/non-A-label "xn--" ASCII domain names?
Such domain names exist and therefore can be used by Cookies.

However, the problem I raised was that for the network DNS A-labels are the
reference, while U-labels are the IUser's reference, and that no concept has
been suggested (*) (on the IETF side) and no mechanism has been defined (*)
on the IUse Architecture side to make sure they strictly correspond
throughout applications. (*): I am aware of except the IDNApplication
concept (i.e. to centralise punycoding on each machine/network) and the
ML-DNS JFC is working on a running test.

Frankly, my understanding is that IDNA2008 is a vertical begining and real
IETF horizontal work is to come, as per
http://www.iab.org/documents/iabmins/iabmins.2010-04-07.txt and their
http://www.iab.org/appeals/2010-08-20-morfin-response.pdf committed reponse
.