referencing IDNA2008 (and IDNA2003?)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Fri Oct 22 04:36:54 CEST 2010

I completely agree, and fwiw people not really into the details of IDNA2003/IDNA2008 details should note what people sort of have said between the lines, with IDNA2008, it does not really matter whether A-label or U-label is in use, while in IDNA2003 you really wanted to use what in IDNA2008 is called A-label.

And the incompatibilities when you look at this is really only in two codepoints, final sigma and the sharp-s.

Something that I personally think is a "bump in the road" that will be handled (and is handled) by registration policy, which also will go away faster in reality than what we might be nervous about in theory.

My suggestion is because of that also something like "use A-labels when comparing and storing strings in cookies". Done.

Do not invent your own algorithms.

It is much easier to then iron out the potential issues as real issues as both the real issues _and_ mistakes in the design of the tailored algorithm. Which unfortunately most likely will be greater than zero. Regardless of how hard we work.

   Patrik