Protocol Action: 'Right-to-left scripts for IDNA' to Proposed Standard

Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir aghadir at citc.gov.sa
Sat Feb 13 13:17:52 CET 2010

Quote:
>Here. I think we nailed it. The problem is that "logical order" for
>new notations, actually have to be defined. We have to define how
>logically should an IDN be displayed. We are sure that displaying
>L1.R2.R3.L4 as L1.R3.R2.L4 is not logical. But we have two logical
>alternatives to display it. Namely :  L1.R2.R3.L4 and L4.R3.R2.L1 and
>I'd prefer we agree on one rather than letting the two coexist. And
>the straight forward way to do it is to keep the one which corresponds
>to network order.

Just to clear it out.
the problem here isn't in the IDNA itself rather UAX#9 because IDNA disallowed all bidi markers which will solve  this sort of issues. And yet you can't enforce it in IDNA level because all applications will render it based on UAX#9 and will result the same order(which you think it is wrong?). The only way to solve it from IDNA level is to prevent all mixing of labels with different directions and yet I don't think this will be possible.