Mapping Poll - REQUEST

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Feb 10 11:59:15 CET 2010

On 09/02/10 18:18, Patrik Fältström wrote:
> I agree with this, but unfortunately we already today have various
> "games" going on by the applications, for example:
>
> A. The addition of "www" and "com" and other various elements and
> labels to a domain name when used for example in a web brower

I've seen this mentioned several times recently. Is it a sore point in
the DNS community?

FWIW, Firefox still does this when you press Ctrl-Enter, but it's not
promoted anywhere or recommended. These days, browsers are much more
likely to do a search on a word entered in the URL bar than add "www"
and "com" to it. See Chrome, for example, whose "Omnibar" (I think they
call it) looks up things that seem to be DNS names, and searches on
everything else.

> B. The common addition of a search path that will automatically add
> labels to the end of a domain name before resolution

Which is, of course, an OS feature rather than a browser one. And is not
quite the same thing as typing "i" having a different effect in the UK
as compared to Turkey.

> C. Various mappings if the end user uses a charset that is not
> Unicode, similar to the ToUnicode(ToASCII(X)) mapping

A problem which is, again, going away as applications and OSes move
towards Unicode. Is there any popular consumer OS today which is not
Unicode based?

Gerv