Wikidna team final report

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Sep 22 15:55:36 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 01:06:18PM +0200, Dominique Lacroix wrote:
> After thinking, are you sure, dear Gervase, that such an argument (25
> years of use) is an effective one to demonstrate that a choice is the
> right one?

Depends on what you mean by "right".  If by "right" you mean, "Does
not require retraining every user on the Internet to convince them
that they need to have a completely new idea about how Internet names
work," then I'd say yes, it is an effective argument.

If by "right" you mean, "Causes Internet naming to correspond to some
ideas I have about how spelling works in a particular environment,"
then of course it is not an effective argument.

In any case, as I once read in a message from Scott Morris,
"Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful than
reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack."